Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My knee is feeling a bit better, though of course I've been walking so funny for the past couple of days that now my other leg hurts. Just some muscle tightness however--I did some stretching and I'm sure it'll loosen up as I walk today. So, I am attempting a London Walk, per the recommendations of many people. I've also come in rather under-budget (well, not rather, but a little bit) so I suspect another trip to Sci Fi Collectors may be in order. Also a real dinner and not take-away! Imagine that! Though to be honest all the take-away is really just a glorious guilty pleasure.

I haven't talked that much about food (well, I keep mentioning it but for me that's not "that much") but I have to say: Great Britain, please marry me and cook all my meals. What a difference a couple of decades make! London currently seems in the grip of an East Asian/Noodle House frenzy and I've actually had a bit of a hard time finding a proper curry house. Yeah, Indian restaurants abound, but they abound in Pittsburgh too. But all the ones I've found have been expensive!

But two things that I think have always been a big deal here (at least down here in the Home Counties) that I wish would take hold back in the states is the grab-and-go thing, and the health food thing. I've noticed that "health food!" is actually used as a marketing phrase here, which would never ever fly in the States. We hear "health food" and we think bland and gross. And I love all of the take-away and grab-and-go places. They all tend to roll up after lunch, though. But I'd love to have Pret a Manger back in the States. Or any of the many, many, many sushi/noodle/East Asian lunch bars.

Also, pub grub seems to on the whole have improved greatly. I've had some fantastic meals in pubs. Cheese and Apple tart on a bed of spinach with cranberry chutney? Yes please! I know London isn't representative of all of Britain in the food department, and that Cambridge is full of posh people who eat posh food, but there was a time when even posh food was nowhere near this good or this varied.

1 comment:

Jaradel said...

I second the bit about Pret a Manger. I swear, if they had those in the States, that would be lunch for me anytime I was out. It is a simple yet great idea.