Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hamlet! The Main Event!

It's 3:30 in the morning here and I just got in from a bit of an after party but...

HAMLET-SEEING HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED (though there was a series of SNAFUs leading up to it that culminated in me running in my stocking feet 5 blocks to the theatre from the tube station and then arguing with the people at the box office who had lost the ticket that was being held for me there and insisting they had nothing for me, but that's neither here nor there at this point because it all worked out in the end and I only missed the first scene--which I watched on the monitor anyway). ANYWAY.

You guys. YOU GUYS.

No I mean really.

I just....gah. I mean....gah. Brilliant. Genius. Definitive.

The crazy part was that the RSC is a top flight company with amazing actors all and the only one that David Tennant did not blow completely off the stage was Oliver Ford Davies. It was like they were all Excellent but he was up in the stratosphere somewhere. I have never seen Shakespeare performed like that, and I've seen a fair bit of Shakespeare. To call it a revelation would be an understatement. People need to study that performance for years to come.

So, closing night, three curtain calls, everyone in the cast crying, and if they hadn't turned the houselights back up after the third curtain call I think the audience would have just gone on.

I'll tell a much better story tomorrow, I promise.

1 comment:

arena said...

You have made me even more disappointed about being unable to get to this production, if that's possible. I would happily study the performance until the cows come home if only someone would make a DVD and give me a chance to do it.